Having worked as a hairstylist for 5 years, I have experienced almost every situation imaginable. I thought I would share a few tips on how to achieve better communication with your stylist during the consultation to help reach your desired look, and how to the look without spending the big bucks. The consultation is crucial when it comes to doing hair. Its the part where your stylist gets to know YOU.
- Know your personal style! So important. If you aren't a super trendy kinda girl, then you probably won't feel comfortable with a super trendy cut or color
- Be realistic on what you do as far as styling your hair. We all love Jennifer Aniston's hair. but I can guarantee she doesn't wake up looking like that (actually SHE might ) If you are a wash and wear kind of lady, then a style that requires extra time will not work for you.
- Remember certain colors require more maintenance..which requires more money.How much is to much for you to be able to maintain your look. Remember hair grows. Here's a tip, and something I did with a a lot of my clients. If you color, and highlights,you don't have to do both every time. Do it the first initial visit, the next visit you can just get your root touch up, if you only wait about 6 weeks the regrowth won't be that long, and you can get away with only touching up the roots. Another option is to do a partial color ( good for clients with grey) they do the part, and the hairline, and its a lot cheaper than having to do the whole thing every 4-6 weeks.
- Products are there to aid you in creating your look. Also they provide protecting ingredients to help keep your hair it good shape. They can be very pricey. If your stylist offers you 3 products, ask which one is the most important, and grab that 1. That way the next time you come in, and can purchase another one, and eventually you will have all the products you need to help keep your hair looking amazing!
- Its always helpful for the stylist if the client has some sort of idea of what they want. But not every one does. One way to help come to a decision is to think about what you DON'T want. Coming to the salon and just saying " do whatever you think" is not the greatest idea...unless you have been going to the same person for a long time and they know your likes and dislikes. Also go back to the beginning, tell your stylist your style, and what you do in the morning when your getting ready. Think about it...If you don't like hair hanging in your face...don't get bangs just because you want something different.
Its also a good idea to try to find a good stylist and stick with them. They get to know your hair, they know the color formula they used last time, and they will help get you to what you are looking for. Some people just go where ever, when ever, but every stylist has a different style, and a different method. I hope these steps help a little bit. If you have any questions on how to save money at the salon, or about products...or anything hair..feel free to ask ;)