Sunday, January 1, 2012

DIY mercury glass candle holder

  I love the shinny antique feel that Mercury glass has...but I don't love the prices. Some of my favorite home decor stores are great at making me fall in love with everything, then smacking me in the face with how much some of the things cost...I could never bring myself to pay $70 for a candle holder!!

Serena Antique Mercury Glass Hurricane Lamps
(picture via www.PotteryBarn.com)

So here is a little DIY faux mercury glass to get the look for less...WAY less. I paid just about $15 for everything. and I got two really pretty candle holders, that I'm so proud of.

You will need:
glass vase, or candle holder of your choice.


A can of KRYLON looking glass mirror like paint.( they don't have this at Micheal's. I found mine at wal mart, or they have it at Hobby Lobby)

Also you will need a spray bottle filled with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water, a paper towel, and painters tape.( something to cover the outside of the glass while painting)

STEPS
After covering the outside of the glass ,spray the INSIDE of your glass... 1 coat at a time, allowing each coat to dry about 1 minute before starting the next. It will take about 5 coats, and will look like this when its done.


Allow to dry for about a minute. Then using your vinegar/water mix spray into the glass. It will bead up like this.


Let that sit for about 30 sec. to 1 min. Then fold a paper towel in to a small square and dampen that with the vinegar water mix. Trying not to bump the sides of the glass with your hand, begin to lightly dab the towel against the glass. You will see the paint starting to rub off.


Keep going until you have your desired look. I would dab a little, then look to see if it was what I wanted.. After I was done I took the spray paint and did one more light coat.

and WAAA LAAA


Don't you just love them? I do..


5 comments:

  1. super genious idea! i will be trying this very soon. i'm a new follower through the link up over at Living In Yellow. -- Hilary

    http://daydreambeliever-hilary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea and LOVE your blog! Just found it through Erin's link-up!

    If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by: http://lanachristine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super easy to do. I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks Ceramic Jar Candles Candles today are used to create warmth, scent and ambiance in our homes. There was a time quite long ago when candles were a necessity for lighting the darkness.

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed By Poppy Pixel Designs